March 27, 2010

Last Night's Craftiness - Flower Pins



I had been noticing a bit of a trend towards classic, clean feminine style in a few of my favorite stores: Ann Taylor, Loft, and Talbots. I adore the idea of crisp shirts, fitted blazers, polka dots, bold broaches, and FLOWERS!

I noticed silk flowers of all size, shape, variety, and color pinned on belt loops, handbags, scarves, lapels, and clustered together on cardigans and even t shirts.

I have to admit I didn't actually look at the prices on these flower accessories. I would imagine they could cost upwards of $20 or $30 depending on the size and store. Also, I would imagine a classic cashmere cardi costs more when some silk flower pins are sold with it.

My Mother enjoys creating beautiful silk floral arrangements. Sometimes she sells them in the small town where I grew up. One evening I mentioned to her, maybe she could make some flower pins? These pins would be more marketable to a younger crowd who typically do not purchase faux arrangements.

We discussed the ease of crafting such a project. She said the flowers and even the leaves "pop" right off their stems so you don't even need a wire cutter to trim the stems.

Last night I figured I'd try it out. I went to Joann's and purchased 5 silk flowers (they range in cost from about $3-$6 per flower), some crazy glue gel, and a package of pins from the jewelry section. . .

2 comments:

  1. I'm in awe that you have the time to actually do these crafts and write about them. Oh, and write about them very nicely...not swearing about how your fingers got glued together and now your typing with all thumbs! That would be me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean you're. Hate when I do that.

    ReplyDelete