March 27, 2010

Last Night's Craftiness - Flower Pins 2



I popped a flower and all the leaves off the plastic-coated wire stem. I applied some Krazy Glue to the back of the flower and attempted to attach a flat-backed "safety pin." These pins can be found in the jewelry-making section of a craft store. The flat edge on the one side of the pin is necessary for stability. I don't believe a standard safety pin would work. The jewelry pins are not expensive. You should pick pins that are on scale with the flower. (i.e., larger pin for larger flowers).

I quickly realized the Krazy Glue alone would not offer a proper bond. So I applied some Aileens Sticky Tack craft glue first. On top of the white glue, I added a generous dollop of Krazy Glue gel. Then I smushed the flat back of the pin into the glue. You'll need to hold it in place for a few moments until a bond forms.

My manicure is a wicked mess this morning but Krazy Glue is easily removed with acetone based nail polish remover.

You'll notice from this pic, the back of the pin will also look a bit of a mess. I'm of the opinion, who's going to see the back of your pin? I'm also a bit sloppy with my glue. If you're concerned about the look of the back of the pin, I'd suggest being more careful with your glue application.

This is really all there is to this project. Once I got the hang of it, I banged out all 5 flowers in about 20 minutes. They need to be placed pin side up to dry overnight. You'll defnitely want to make sure the glue is 100% dry before you pin it on a pretty cardigan or blazer!

No comments:

Post a Comment